As the name implies, the Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864) has been introduced to allow eligible children to sponsor their retired parents to stay in Australia on a permanent residence. 

These retired or aged individuals will also be given the legal right to live in Australia for the rest of their lives if they are parents to an Australian citizen who has moved permanently there from New Zealand or elsewhere. The Australian citizen must be established, i.e., having been living in Australia for more than two years, in order to apply for Subclass 864.

The applicant can also now study in Australia with any possible academic program and potentially from any organization, even with the Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864). In addition to this, you can also avail of Australia’s beneficial health plans with the Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864). 

Why You Should Apply for a Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864)?

A Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 864) is a permanent entry permit to the nation. This visa entitles its applicant to:

  • Continue to reside there permanently.
  • To work and study in their respective interest field.
  • To sign up for the government’s health insurance programme.
  • Enlist his/her family members on the visa application form.
  • To provide sponsorship for the immigration of other family members.
  • To spend five years moving throughout the nation.
  • To apply for citizenship.

Note: A permanent visa holder has nearly the same rights as a citizen of the nation, with minor exceptions. There are, however, specific restrictions related to the visa conditions that the applicant must follow while applying for the Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 864)


To be eligible for an application for a Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864), the applicant must fulfill all of the requirements stated by the Department of Home Affairs for this visa category.

  • The applicant must be the parent of a child who is –
    • Australian Citizen
    • New Zealand citizen
    • Australian Permanent Resident
  • They must be established, that is, they must have lived in Australia for at least two (2) years.
  • The candidate must also pass the ‘family balance’ test.
  • The applicant must get sponsored by their Australian children.
  • The applicant must be of legal retirement age in Australia (65-67 years old).
  • The applicant must fulfil the health and character requirements.
  • The applicant must get a written statement of support stating that no support from the Australian Government is required.
  • The applicant and their sponsor must have paid off any unpaid debts owed to the Australian Government (if any) or established acceptable payment arrangements.
  • To ensure that they would follow Australian laws and living norms, the applicant has to sign a values statement.
  • The applicant must not possess a history of canceled visas. This may result in the visa application form being rejected.

Documents Checklist to Apply Subclass 864 Visa

Although Australia prefers to give its immigrants several benefits, there are a few essential requirements that they must submit to the concerned immigration authorities. However, if the applicant fails to submit any of the documentation listed below, he or she will no longer be able to apply for this visa.

Following is the list of documents needed to apply for a Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864):

  • Individual papers submitted by the applicant.
  • Documents required for the spouse who is accompanying them,  Important documents for individuals under the age of 18.
  • The various documents linked with the family test balance.
  • Genuine police statements.
  • The relevant sponsorship paperwork for Subclass 864.

Checklist for Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864)

Depending on the diverse backgrounds of the applicants, every one of them must meet the following criteria. Here is a checklist for Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864) to consider:

  • The applicant must fulfil the necessary age limit requirements. Otherwise, he or she may be denied the right to an elderly pension in Australia.
  • Has to pass the family balance test.
  • The Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864) will be rendered null and void, particularly for individuals whose visa was rejected or canceled during their previous stay in Australia.


How to Apply for Visa Subclass 864?

The applicant must confirm that they have a valid passport before applying for the Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 864). If not, it is recommended that you get a new passport before beginning the visa application procedure.

The next step is to gather the necessary proof in accordance with the visa rules. The proof should be accurate and complimentary to the facts on the application form in accordance with the 864 eligibility. The fully completed Subclass 864 Visa application form, along with the required fees, should be filed with the Department of Home Affairs.

Following the submission of subclass 864 visa applications, the Department will notify the candidate that their application is being reviewed. This is an application for an onshore visa. The applicant must be present in Australia when submitting the application form. The Department sends the decision on the visa application form to the applicants’ registered mail.

Processing Time for Subclass 864

The usual processing time for the Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 864) application varies depending on the applicant’s profile and application status. It generally takes 1.5 to 2 years to process. The application processing is dependent on capping and queuing, and it requires longer to process because the demand for a family visa is higher.

The Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 864) processing time varies: 

  • If the application form is not correctly completed,
  • If all required documentation is not provided by the applicant. 
  • If the applicant takes longer than expected to provide additional information to the departments.

At Ghothane Lawyers, we help our clients with all of their visa-related questions and problems. Contact our immigration lawyers for a quick discussion on your Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 864) application.