Australia’s Subclass 820 Visa is a temporary partner visa that permits the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen, or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia temporarily. It is the first step in the two-stage visa process for a permanent partner visa.
Who is Eligible?
The Subclass 820 Partner Visa (Temporary) is one of the two partner visas. You must apply for Subclass 820 with Permanent Partner Visa (Subclass 801) and pay the fee for only one application. The processing of both applications will take place with a two years gap. You have to be living in the country when you apply for this visa. The following are the requirements you must fulfil to be eligible for this temporary partner visa:
- You and your spouse must be 18 years or older. If the spouse is under 18, their parent/guardian can sponsor.
- You must be in a de facto relationship or be married.
- Your relationship must be committed, exclusive, genuine, and continuing.
- Couples in a de facto relationship must have a length of at least 12 months period. Nevertheless, there can be exceptions to this.
- You and your spouse must prove the factors of your relationship. These include the joint financial aspect, household arrangement, social nature of the relationship, and commitment to one another.
- Your sponsor has to supply relevant police clearances to meet specified character requirements.
- You have to hold a substantive visa, any visa except a bridging.
- You should have both character and health requirements.
How to apply for Subclass 820 Partner Visa (Temporary)
- Gather the original documents mentioned in the Subclass 820/801 Document Checklist. These will establish your eligibility.
- Apply for a temporary partner visa subclass 820 and permanent partner visa subclass 801 concurrently. You can do this in person, by post, or online. While applying, you will require all documents along with the application fee. To fill out the form online, you must use the ImmiAccount system.
- The sponsoring spouse must also fill out a sponsorship form with the documents. These include Identity Documents, Character Documents, and Relation evidence.
- If you need help with the application, you can fill out the Appointment of a registered migration agent, a legal practitioner, or exempt person form.
- Once you have applied for the visa, you will have to wait for the decision. After this, the process for subclass 801 is in motion.
Visa Processing Time
The process for subclass 820 visa takes between twenty-three to twenty-seven months on average. But the time may vary depending upon individual circumstances and whether you have provided all necessary documents.
All the information given on the Website is indicative only and is subject to change. Please note that the above content is for general information only and must not be taken as immigration or travel information. The content is up to date at the time of the last update but being current and accurate cannot be forever guaranteed due to the frequent changes in immigration law.